Aiden doesn't need surgery!!!!!
Here is the background:
When I was 20 pregnant with Aiden we had our normal ultrasound, and things didn't go so well so they sent us to a specialist in fetal medicine for a more in depth sono. This is when Aiden was diagnosed with a type 2 CCAM - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_cystic_adenomatoid_malformation . I will tell you Mike and I were pretty upset but tried to keep positive. The odds of a fetus developing this is 1 in 25, 000 to 35,000.....pretty rare. We went home and tried to find information on this condition and it is pretty hard to find. In the following weeks I had an ultrasound once a week until I was 28 weeks watching out for hydrops or any signs of fetal distress. We were very lucky and aced those week, so we were able to ease off and get an ultrasound every 3 weeks for the rest of the pregnancy. In there we also had to switch OBGYN's because my OB was no longer at the hospital that had a NICU...just in case. Anyway, the day Aiden was born was pretty intense, one thing that can happen is air is trapped in the lung and they can have problems breathing, fortunately he came out able to breathe normally...what a relief to Mike and I. Over the next 11 months we had a few x-rays to make sure that his longs stayed clear and then a CT to locate the cysts for the surgical procedure to have them removed. I have to say I was a wreck that day until we got the results from the Dr. With great news he told us that the cysts had resolved on their own. This only happens in about 5 to 10% of cases post birth. I have to say thank you for all the prayers and support with this that everyone gave to Mike, Aiden and I. This is truly a great thing that has happened.
Praise God!!! BTW, Aiden is soooo stinkin' cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you Hollie :)
ReplyDelete